Who should take this course?
Tableau Site Administration is designed for new site administrators tasked with the implementation, management, and monitoring of a Tableau site. This introductory course is offered as a blended learning experience comprising three instructor-led sessions plus self-paced eLearning lessons over the course of a two-week period. Note: This class is taught using Tableau Server in a Windows server environment.
Familiarity with Tableau Server.
When you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Navigate the Tableau Cloud/Tableau Server user interface.
- Understand the purpose and function of governance in Tableau Cloud/Tableau Server.
- Plan the structure of a site.
- Create groups and add users to groups.
- Create projects and set project permissions.
- Manage users and their content.
- Publish data sources and workbooks.
- Audit and monitor content.
- Monitor site utilization and adoption.
Sample Course Schedule
This is a two-week blended learning course that includes three live sessions taught by Tableau Certified instructors, virtual labs for hands-on practice, and on-demand eLearning content for reinforcement. Below is a sample schedule of the course (actual class times and and hours may vary). The three live sessions are scheduled, and the e-Learning is self-paced.
Prepare for the course with this Trailmix.
Lessons and Topics
Getting Started with Tableau Server
- Understanding Basic Data Concepts
- Reading Common Chart Types
- Touring the Tableau Server UI
Tableau Server and Tableau Cloud Basics
- Identifying Content Types and Pages
- Interacting with Published Content
- Understanding Governance and Your Role in It
Introduction to Site Administration
- Getting Started with Site Administration
- Touring the Site Administration Pages
Planning and Organizing a Site
- About the identity store
- Defining authorization in Tableau
- Planning authorization to meet your needs
- Reviewing the implementation process
- Creating groups and adding users to groups
- Defining permissions on the Default project
- Creating projects
- Setting project permissions
Managing Users and their Content
- Add users through the user interface (UI)
- Use a CSV file to import users
- Modify site roles and remove users
- Move content
- Delete content and reassign content ownership
- Rename content
- Review how to create projects from the UI
- Set project descriptions
- Define Project Leaders
- Take actions on projects
Understanding Permissions in Tableau
- Authorization and the Capability Hierarchy
- Permission rules
- Permission templates
- Permission capabilities
- Understanding how Tableau evaluates permissions
- Overview of permissions best practices
- Setting up default project permissions
- Locking project permissions
- Using groups for grantees
- Setting permissions at the project and group levels
Being a Responsible Content Owner
- Responsible content ownership
Publishing Data Sources
- Published data sources
- Extracts and extract refreshes
- Filtering data sources
- Certified data and data source recommendations
- Publishing workbooks
- Working with published workbooks
Auditing and Monitoring Your Content
- For all content owners
- For workbook owners
- For data source owners
Site Monitoring and Maintenance
- Working with Tasks
- Using Administrative Views
- Monitoring Site Utilization & Adoption
- Identifying Stale Content
- Monitoring Workbook Performance
- Automatic Tasks with tabcmd